NBIA Families and Friends
The Story of a Newly Diagnosed NBIA Family
The day you learn that you or a loved one has an NBIA Disorder might be the worst day of your life. We understand because we’ve been there. Take heart; you have come to the right place. The NBIA Disorders Association is dedicated to finding a cure for these rare disorders and supporting you in this challenging journey. Welcome. We are glad you found us.
We represent a group of families and researchers who are an excellent resource to those facing a diagnosis of NBIA. You no longer have to cope with this alone. From all over the world, NBIA families communicate with each other through our various support programs.
We can help you:
- Understand the diagnosis and symptom management options
- Keep updated on research efforts
- Connect with other families that truly understand what you are going through
- Fill out our Connect With Us form so that we can add you to our NBIA families database. This enables us to contact you with information of special interest, such as upcoming clinical trials, new research findings, family conference schedules and other important news.
- Read the articles especially for the newly diagnosed provided below and explore the other areas of our website when you are ready. This information will provide the tools you'll need to manage the disorder as much as possible and cope on a day-to-day basis.
- Read our Overview of NBIA Disorders to get a better understanding of what NBIA disorders are and the common characteristics they share. Read the specific disorder information provided to learn about the particular NBIA disorder that affects you or your loved one.
- ◦ BPAN
- ◦ PKAN
- ◦ PLAN
- ◦ MPAN
- ◦ FAHN
- ◦ CoPAN
- ◦ Aceruloplasminemia
- ◦ Nueroferritinopathy
- ◦ Woodhouse-Sakati
- ◦ Kufor-Rakeb
- ◦ Idiopathic NBIA
- Join our Family Networking Program, Facebook group and Facebook page for even more support. These programs put you in touch with other families and enable you to ask questions about treatments and other matters. You can learn from others how they cope with a rare disorder and care for their loved one.
- Fill out our Questions and Comments form relating to this new diagnosis.
We welcome you and your family to our NBIA Community and hope that we can meet your needs at this difficult time of learning about and accepting an NBIA diagnosis. Right now, your life has been up-ended. But as time passes, a "new normal" evolves, and we can help you reach that stage, too.
There is hope through research. The NBIA Disorders Association is working every day to promote research seeking a treatment or cure for all of our NBIA disorders. Please join us in our quest and let us know how we can help.
Newly Diagnosed Informational Articles
Questions & Comments
We welcome you and your family to our NBIA Community and hope that we can meet your needs at this difficult time of learning about and accepting an NBIA diagnosis. Please contact us if you have questions or comments relating to this new diagnosis.